When we talk about travel we are reminded of The little blue book of travel wisdom by George Mikes where the author talks about a disease called Travelitis Furiosis caused by a germ called prosperity.
However this is about mid-fifties. Now we are in the 2019. Growth of population and increasing of cities and transport networks is adding up to this problem. The Rush hour travel is a global issue. Such an ordeal is more likely to make commutation to work more stressful than their jobs.
According to US Census Bureau data
Americans travel 255 minutes a week i.e. 12240 minutes per year. In comparison Mumbai people travel at least 1440 minutes a week that is 432000 minutes in a year. A recent study by UK office of National statistic show daily journey time for commuters in Rome 111 minutes, 104 minutes for London and 110 minutes for Madrid.
Inspite of leaving for work early almost 70% are late to work. This is because commutation has become more stressful than their jobs. Every added minute to a commute increase his anxiety and affect his happiness and general well being. Sometimes many people feel like a full days work done even before they set their foot in office. Ford is cooperating with cities world wide as part of Ford Smart Mobility, to address transportation challenges brought out by population growth and urbanisation. Several measures like Pedestrian walkways, trains, buses, trams, bicycles, shuttle services has not reduced human traffic. Services like mono rail, metro also has not allowed any relief to the Mumbaikars. Digitization has also not allowed any work from home. Even decentralization of offices is not a solution. Railways are the life line of Mumbai.
Many people view commutation as a ritual than the anxiety and stress created by this ordeal.
Believing this is as a ritual stops anxiety and improves performance. Both office and home thrives on performance of the individual. Performance depends on his mental health, physical well being , family welfare and environmental atmosphere. The individual to handle and maintain all this instead of complaining about one external threat that is commuting to place of work, can convert this time to ‘pockets of freedom” as mentioned in Harvard business review.
Shifting the mindset regarding use of this time from Boredom to passion, frustrating moments to free moments can enrich the individuals productivity and performance .
How to convert commute time to freedom/passsion
- Short nap : Gone are the days of the saying Early to bed Early to rise make a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Now we are early starters and late sleepers . Hence lack of sleep make us drowsy and irritating the whole day. A short nap while travelling can compensate. But if you are worried about how to sleep in standing and seated position infinity pillow would come to your help.
3. LEARN LANGUAGES ONLINE : Many foreign languages can be learnt while travelling. According to CNN
A person speaking more than two languages is said to be attractive. Languages not only help you to expand yourself in terms of perspective and skillset, but they also help you understand other cultures and people. use apps like bussu to learn Spanish & English. there are other language apps on google playstore
4. Listen to tunes :Ambient noise at 70db increases creativity after hearing to soft music or tunes. You can buy any headphones and install white noise app . This will enhance your creativity multifold. Headphones can be got from here.
5. Plan the work ahead : Many people like to plan their work for the day during travel. According to Harvard business review this nature has enhanced performance.
6. reading books, novels, spiritual text : Many people prefer reading books, novel, spiritual text, counting rosary, prayer, meditation. These are some of the ways people like to use their travelling time.
7. using travel times for hobbies : Hobbies like knitting, getting delicacies and sharing, sharing photos and albums on Facebook, and other social sites,
8. Talking to strangers : Talking, chitchatting, maintaining relationships with strangers and helping them in need or using them for business like chit funds, network marketing, affiliate marketing etc are also done during travel.
Last but not the least making use of travel time in a helpful way will kill the drudgery, frustration and anxiety and boost performance and make you feel creative and contented. There was a person who used to travel long distance to his place of work . He used to carry three to four cans of water to supply to those who did not carry water. This work he did for so many years till his retirement. Such people knew how to make their life and others life better.
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD DO TO MAKE YOUR COMMUTING TIME BENEFICIAL SO THAT YOU CAN PERFORM BETTER IN OFFICE AND AT HOME?
I AM SURE MANY OF YOU MUST BE HAVING OTHER WAYS OF USING COMMUTING TIME TO YOUR BENEFIT YOU MAY GOVE IT IN YOUR COMMENTS SO THAT I CAN INCORPORATE IT ALSO.